Always practice safety when you are using kitchen equipment and tools!
The Love Chef recommends that you cook with adult supervision and follow these simple guidelines:
- Always use hot pads to handle hot or warm items. Anything you remove from the oven, stove, microwave or other heat-based appliance will be hot and will stay hot for a while.
- Remember that steam can cause burns, too! Ask an adult to lift aluminum foil or lids from hot items.
- Keep pan handles turned toward the middle of the stove to avoid accidental bumps which can cause the pan to fall.
- Always ask an adult's help and supervision when using sharp tools and electric appliances.
- Keep your hands clean to ensure that you handle food safely.
- Never remove boiling or hot items from the stove yourself - ask an adult's help.
- Never leave the kitchen when something is cooking.
- If you're walking with a sharp knife, walk slowly and keep the sharp point facing down. Never run with sharp tools.
- Make sure your hands are dry before you plug in or unplug an appliance.
- Certain foods require refrigeration. Don't leave them out, or they can turn.
- Don't wear loose clothing which can get caught on appliances and be dangerous near an open flame.
- Clean any spills right away. Spills on the floor can cause you or someone else to fall.
- If you have long hair, remember to tie it back so it won't get in the way.
- Remember to turn all appliances off when you're finished.